Sunday, December 19, 2010

I'm Having A Cheese Baby

So I am a bad Southerner.  I don't eat grits, collards, or any kind of barbecue other than pulled pork with a mustard based sauce.  I don't watch NASCAR and I only go to football games to people watch.  And until recently, I did not like pimiento cheese.  There, I said it.  The quintiessential Southern food.  And I hated it.  Too slimey.  Until now. 

A lovely friend of mine served DiPrato's pimento cheese and pita chips at a baby shower she hosted recently.  What have I been missing?  This is an amazing concoction!  So, in the spirit of trying to save money, I decided to try to find a similar recipe online and use what I have in the house.  Here's what I got:




  • half a package (4oz) of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups grated parmesean cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • A dash of garlic powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • A pinch of pepper
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons pimentos, smashed
  • 1 tablespoon grated onion
  • Cracked black pepper
Using my kitchen aid mixer, I beat the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add all of the remaining ingredients and beat until well blended. I try to put it in the fridge overnight to let all the flavors mix together, but usually I just end up eating it from the container with wheat thins to make it appear more civilized.  The last three days I've eaten almost two full batches of it.  I'm going to have to lay off it tonight or I think I'll never poop again.

No comments:

Post a Comment